Pages

Monday, September 15, 2014

Clueless

Baby stuff is so incredibly adorable!

And I'm having fun oogling it at every chance I get.

As I mentioned last week, we are down to just a few weeks until our little miracle arrives! I'm trying to be rational and not go crazy buying every little thing, while balancing that with preparing and allowing myself to hope and plan and dream and fall in deep.

So I've picked up a few things.  And one of our extra bedrooms is now pretty baby friendly, needing just a few details (like a dresser, bedding, and frames for the artwork I've scored on Etsy) to make it complete.


A beautiful piece that my  beautiful sister has ordered for us, waiting on it to arrive...

I'm readying my home, and my heart.  

But my brain?  My brain is far from ready...

I'm totally overwhelmed with the knowledge that I have absolutely no idea how to be a parent.  Like basic stuff is completely escaping me.  I know that I will have my mom and my sister, and the internet, and hopefully some sort of maternal instinct... but to be honest - I'm kind of freaking out here.

Like -- what do you even *do* with a baby??!?

Hold them? Feed them? Change them? Stare at them?

It sounds good, but is that really it? Like how do you know if they want to be swaddled, or if they're cold, or if their formula is giving them an upset tummy? How do you know if they want a different brand of pacifier or if they would rather be sleeping on their tummy (don't call the authorities, I plan to put baby on their back, as long as they'll sleep that way) or if you're putting their diaper on too tightly? How do you know if they're ready for solid foods, if the bath water is warm enough, if you need to move their crib mattress down?

And seriously, what do you actually do all day long?

It's questions like these that woke me up at 4 this morning and have been playing on a continuous loop pretty much ever since. 

If you have advice, please feel free to chime in, here. I'm not too proud to listen to what someone who's been there/done that has to say... No for real, help a sister out...

EEK!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha! No worries. Even being on my 3rd now, it's still a learning process with each one!! Until they can actually communicate their needs with you (because sometimes being able to talk doesn't mean they'll tell you what is wrong, sigh), it is sometimes just a guessing game! You'll get the hang of it, don't worry. I know that is easy for me to say now, as I was a wreck the first time around. Haha! I literally knew nothing. I never babysat and really didn't have any experience with kids, so yeah, we learned together. :) As long as you love them and take care of their basic needs (feed and diaper), you'll make it. :) It won't always be easy. Trust me. But it's so worth it. Can't wait to hear the good news for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so crazy because I have babysat and I worked as a nanny for 4 years and I have 12 nieces and nephews but I still feel like I'm coming at this with zero authority haha. I am just to much of a type A planner. I like to have all the facts before I start something. Kuds just don't work that way :) Fingers crossed that ours comes with a manual or some sort of instructional dvd :)

      Delete
    2. LOL! Well, you sound as prepared as you could possibly be to me!! :) Definitely more experience than I had anyway! Haha! I get it though. I'm about as Type A as it gets and it still irks me when I can't have everything go as I want it to all the time. ;) I'm getting better though. At least I think I am?? :) If you get that DVD, send me a copy!! Haha!

      Delete

Comments are great but let's keep 'em classy