Pages

Monday, November 4, 2013

Learn What I Learned: Julie Gumm

Julie Gumm is amazing.  She doesn't know me, and likely has no clue I'm saying that about her, but it's true.  She is.  

She has a great adoption story.  You can read about it here.

I met Julie at the Together for Adoption Conference last month.  Kain and I went to her breakout session based on her book, Adopt Without Debt - which you 100% should read if you are even maybe-potentially-sort-of-kind-of considering adoption.  In fact, the electronic version is on sale today!! Buy it! You need it!! 

November is National Adoption Month.  What a blessing to celebrate something so dear to so many hearts.  
In honor of National Adoption Month, Julie is blogging every day about something she has has learned about adoption.

Today's post has the subtitle "People Will Think You're Crazy"

If you are just starting in your adoption journey, trust me -as you share your desire to adopt you'll get a range of reactions.  Some great, some heartless, some flat out ridiculous.  Read Julie's post on her blog today and learn what I learned.  She makes a great point about being gracious to other people's reactions.  

On the topic of crazy reactions, here's one of my craziest:

A few months ago I was sharing at work with a coworker about the stress of adoption, specifically the financial burden.  A doctor was sitting close by and quietly listening to our conversation.  He interjected to ask if adoption was for real - if people actually parented other people's children.  He was totally serious.  I bit my tongue to stop from asking "Do you live under a rock??"  and instead took the opportunity to explain the beauty of adoption to him.  Hopefully his (apparent) first exposure to the concept of adoption was shaped in a positive way.  

So tell me, friend -- what's the craziest reaction (positive or negative) that you've gotten regarding adoption? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are great but let's keep 'em classy